Thursday, November 30, 2006

Google and managing personal health information

There has been a lot speculation about Google Health, but if they can develop this, it can be excellent, probably would open a competely different indutry for Google, hospitals and health sector, where all the information is a mess.

"Patients also need to be able to better coordinate and manage their own health information. We believe that patients should control and own their own health information, and should be able to do so easily. Today it is much too difficult to get access to one's health records, for example, because of the substantial administrative obstacles people have to go through and the many places they have to go to collect it all. Compare this to financial information, which is much more available from the various institutions that help manage your financial "health." We believe our industry should help solve this problem." via Google

I can't figure out why I still have to enter my name and all the information in a piece of paper when I visit a doctor and then the same info to be entered by an administrator into the computer. Why can't I enter this info directly to the doctor's computer or may be in the very short future I can keep the info let's say in "My G-Health" and the doctors systtem uses the API and pulls the info.........

Good luck with this initiative to Adam and his team at Google.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is that a major obstacle in this equation is a closed-source model of medical practice that keeps health and administrative information locked away.

I like the possibilities of opening this model up second your "g-health" suggestion.

Some lawyers may have to figure in HIPAA to do this...

Eric said...

all blog